Friday, December 4, 2015

Surface Tablets

You've probably have heard of a Surface before. If you haven't before, a surface is a tablet made by Microsoft. This tablet is different to an iPad or an Android tablet because it runs windows. A big part of Microsoft’s advertising campaign with the surface is that it's a computer as portable as a tablet. As good as the surface may be, it's just simply not a computer.

Having windows as the operating system gives a surface the ability to do just about anything that a computer can. Every program that functions on your Windows desktop will work on your surface tablet. One big difference for me though is the screen size. Most computers these days I see have around a 20 inch monitor. A surface’s screen is only 12 inches.  The small screen makes it hard to tap on what you want. It's very hard to do a lot of work that's not just typing or reading.

Another feature that the surface lacks is USB ports. Like many “premium” laptop manufacturers who try to decrease the size thickness, and weight of their product, Microsoft has done just that. If you decide to get a surface, you'll have access to only a few ports. For me, one port would be dedicated to a mouse, as I dislike using a touch pad for long periods of time. That only leaves one port for other purposes.

Price is another factor that turns me away. The newest and greatest surface tablet, the Surface Pro 4, starts at $900. That instantly turns me away, as I could easily get a laptop that is just as capable as the surface. Additionally, that $900 doesn’t include a keyboard. Buying the Microsoft brand Surface Keyboard would cost an additional $130+. More than a thousand dollars for a tablet is just crazy in my mind.

Overall, if you have the money to spend on a $1000+ tablet, go ahead.  If I want a tablet, I’ll spend less money on a great Android tablet.  If I want a computer, I’ll go for a cheaper laptop that’s actually a computer.

No comments:

Post a Comment