Thursday, January 21, 2016

What are Video Games to Me

If you ask anyone what the view video games as, there is a good chance that they would reply with video games are a waste of time. I would have to agree on the point that video games are a time sync, but they're much more that that.  To me, video games can tell stories, just like a book or movie, a connection between my friends and myself, and a source of endless entertainment.

To me, a lot of gaming comes down to the campaign or story behind the game. Some of the games that I enjoyed the most include Heavy Rain, Grim Fandango, Last of Us, the Half life series, and the Portal series to name a few. These games all are driven by a story, and you follow along with with whatever mechanics the game gives you. To me, the games are telling you a story, and unlike a movie or book, you are directly interacting with the story.  This interaction to me, is a huge reason why I spend my free time playing games.

Story isn't the only thing that draws me to games. Multiplayer is another key feature of games that really see it to me. Being able to spend time with friends is a common pass time, but through a computer or game console, I can chat, interact, and play with friends without having to drive to their house.  Even if my friends are unavailable, I'm able to go online and interact and play a game with other people.

Additionally, video games are a source of seemingly endless entertainment to me. There are many games that I could spend days on end playing, and many more created every year.  If I ever get bored of playing a game, there is always YouTube or Twitch where I can participate in communities of people watching a content creators play games and interacting with the community watching them.

No comments:

Post a Comment